Applications are currently available for the following residential field programs.
Applications for Student Groups
These programs are available on a waitlist-only basis.
Applications for Adult Groups
- Complete the application and submit by the following deadlines:
- All Fall 2013/Spring 2014 residential program applications are due by June 21, 2013.
- Fall 2013 one-day program applications are due by June 21, 2012.
- Summer 2013 applications will be on rolling acceptance.
- When completing your application, please take the following into account:
- Programs: Some programs run from a variety of locations. Please indicate your preferred canoe, boat, or ferry location after the program name. If you do not select a site, our field staff will select one with you after the trip is booked. The cost for the Smith Point or Onancock ferry is $400/group and is available from mid-April through mid-October, weather permitting.
- Dates: Please be flexible about the date of your program(s). We will make every effort to accommodate you but cannot guarantee specific dates. Indicate how many trips you will need.
- Group Size: The number of participants includes teachers and chaperones. Maximum numbers are listed on group size and pricing chart. If your group size exceeds the maximum number allowed for a program, you have two options: request two or more programs on the same date, or request the program on multiple dates.
- An e-mail will be sent to confirm receipt of your application. If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail it means that we did not receive your application. To prevent your e-mail service from marking your confirmation message as spam, please add cbf.org to your accepted domains list.
- A confirmation letter confirming your program date(s) will be e-mailed approximately one month after the application due date.
- If we are unable to fill your request, you will be placed on a waitlist and may receive a date later in the season, as cancellations come in. You will only be notified if we are able to fill your request.
- Pre-trip information will be e-mailed to you shortly after the confirmation letter.
- Signed confirmation letters and payment/deposits are due back to our office by the date noted on your confirmation letter.
- Cancellations: There is no penalty for canceling your program 30 days ahead for one-day programs or 45 days ahead for residential programs. Cancellations made after the 30/45 days grace period will forfieit your deposit and affect your chances for a future field experience.
If you have further questions, feel free to contact Education Scheduling at 800-445-5572 or EducationCoordinator@cbf.org.
Thanks in large part to private donations, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation can offer student programs at rates that are much lower than the actual operating costs of our programs.
Maryland schools: The Maryland State Department of Education has provided CBF with a grant that subsidizes the cost of our programs for Maryland schools to $220 per day for a one-day program. For more information, please contact EducationCoordinator@cbf.org or call 800-445-5572.
Also, the Chesapeake Bay Trust, funded by "Treasure the Chesapeake" license plates, supplies schools with grants for environmental projects and field trips. For further information on their application procedure, contact the Chesapeake Bay Trust, 60 West Street, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-974-2941. cbtrust.org
Virginia schools: The Virginia Naturally Classrooms Grant of $500, $750 or $1,000 is available for the purpose of conducting field studies with students. The application is simple to fill out and available online: www.dcr.virginia.gov/virginia_naturally/.
All Schools/School Groups: Due to cuts in state funding, we are not offering reduced rates on all programs. CBF will subsidize groups in need as much as possible. Please contact the Education Coordinator to request a reduced rate. EducationCoordinator@cbf.org