The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Grassroots Field Specialist to be based at its Pennsylvania State Office located in Harrisburg. This is a Blueprint term position lasting until June 30, 2017.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional non-profit conservation organization working solely to save the Bay. Established in 1967, CBF has a staff of approximately 185 employees working in offices in Annapolis Maryland; Richmond and VA Beach, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C., and in 15 field education program locations. Our staff and volunteer corps work throughout the region educating students and adults, advocating for clean water polices, restoring waterways, and litigating when necessary.
CBF's headquarters office in Annapolis, MD is the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first U.S. Green Build Council’s LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened The Brock Environmental Center in Virginia Beach, VA. The Brock Center is one of the most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings in the world.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $21 million and is supported by more than 200,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF please visit www.cbf.org.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
The PA Grassroots Field Specialist will work to mobilize Pennsylvania communities to take action on the issue of water quality and the broader Chesapeake Bay watershed cleanup effort. Activate new volunteers, while building a core group of volunteer leaders who will participate in community organizing or other activities in support of CBF’s priority legislative and regulatory issues in Pennsylvania. Assist Outreach and Advocacy Manager and other staff in advocacy and decision-maker activities. Represent CBF at speaking engagements. Work in close coordination with other Pennsylvania Office staff, lobbyists, and as part of the broader organizational grassroots team.
Essential functions include:
Include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Identify Supporters: Through petitioning and other methods of outreach (canvassing, phone-banking, etc.), identify community members, businesses, and other influentials who are motivated by issues of environmental protection and watershed health to recruit as activists and volunteers.
- Plan and Run Events: The field specialist will plan the events and actions in which their volunteers participate. Examples of events include letter-writing events, phone banking, volunteer canvassing, and petitioning at farmer’s markets.
- Develop Leaders: The field specialist will identify top-level volunteers and teach them organizing and advocacy skills so that that they can expand CBF’s capacity in their community.
- Build Partnerships: The specialist will identify and engage businesses and environmental and non-environmental partner organizations with shared interests to build coalition support for local clean water efforts.
- Keep Records: The field specialist will help set and work toward metrics and maintain accurate records about the supporters he/she identifies, leaders developed, actions planned and executed, and other information that will inform future organizing efforts.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s degree required. Previous experience required in environmental protection, including experience motivating and managing volunteers. Ability to learn and implement CBF policies/procedures related to legislative and regulatory advocacy, grassroots and public communications. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Proficient in computer applications, including MS office software. Experience with Voter Activation Network including cutting walk turf/lists, working with phone tool/pulling phone lists and data entry is preferred.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and salary history and requirements no later than June 6, 2016 to:
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a tax deferred annuity plan. The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.