The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Senior Staff Accountant to be based at their Philip Merrill Environmental Center headquarters located in Annapolis, MD.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional non-profit conservation organization working solely to save the Bay. Established in 1967, CBF has a staff of approximately 185 employees working in offices in Annapolis Maryland; Richmond and Norfolk, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C., and in 15 field education program locations. CBF's headquarters office is in the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world's first LEED platinum building.CBF has an annual budget of approximately $25 million and is supported by more than 200,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF please visit www.cbf.org.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
The Senior Staff Accountant will monitor bank deposits and cash balances, maintain the general ledger, prepare monthly account reconciliations and month-end closing journal entries, close the general ledger each month, and produce reports and complete analyses, maintain the fixed assets sub-ledger, and prepare various audit schedules and tax filings. The Senior Staff Accountant will ensure that CBF is in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and direct daily operations for the Accounting Associate and the Accounts Payable Clerk along with setting goals and objectives for each position and monitoring their performance.
Essential functions include:
1. Review all daily receipts including wire transfers, etc.
- Review Development Department’s revenue journal entries. Ensure accurate accounting and restriction guidelines are followed.
- Review Membership Department’s revenue journal entries for accuracy.
- Work with other departments (i.e. Environmental Education, Environmental Protection and Restoration, Administration) to resolve issues and investigate unidentified receipts.
- Complete daily operating cash bank balance report, review all other bank balances and assist in determining cash flow needs.
- Prepare and verify necessary wire transfers between CBF accounts.
- Assist with preparing the cash budget and cash flow projections.
2. Timely close the books at the end of each month.
- Complete bank account reconciliation for operating account, and other bank accounts as assigned.
- Manage fixed asset accounting. Calculate and post fixed asset additions and disposals entries, as well as the monthly depreciation entry.
- Review the prepaid expense detail and the calculation of the monthly prepaid expense entry prepared by the Accounting Associate.
- Accrue monthly interest expense for bonds.
- Review all balance sheet accounts for correct balances and prepare or assist in account reconciliations as assigned by the Accounting Supervisor or CFO.
- Provide backup for producing the month-end trial balance, ensuring trial balance is balanced and restrictions are in line.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly cash balance reports.
- Assist in preparation of financial statements. Provide backup for producing the monthly financial statements.
- Maintain, organize, and file all monthly journal entries and work papers on a timely basis.
- Assist with developing and improving internal systems for internal financial controls and accountability.
- Provide feedback to the Accounting Supervisor and CFO on the Epicor Software System or other software systems used to complete work.
- Develop training programs and policies to help guide staff in understanding financial policies and their application in the actual cost of engaging in work.
3. Prepare for year-end audits.
- Prepare requested schedules from audit firm.
- Organize and compile trial balance, lease copies, and other information.
- Assist in the process of the G&A calculation and allocation.
4. Supervise the Accounting Associate and Accounts Payable Clerk.
- Set goals and objectives.
- Review work for accuracy.
- Train, mentor, and develop staff accounting skills.
- Write performance reviews and manage other personnel responsibilities.
- Provide cross-functional back-up to both positions as well as to the Accounting Supervisor.
5. Assist with the filing of all necessary tax forms and reports, including 990, 990-T, property and sales tax filings.
6. Assist with the Net Assets process during the review of the monthly membership and development entries.
7. Other duties as noted.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance and 3-5 years relevant experience. CPA and non-profit experience preferred. Proficient in the use of computer systems and MS Office software. Good oral and written communication skills.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and salary history and requirements no later than November 14, 2014
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
No calls or inquiries from recruiting agencies, please.
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a tax deferred annuity plan. The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.